Attorney Profile & References
Barbara J. Kuehn Biographical Resume
Growing up as a military/government employee dependent I had an opportunity to start traveling the world at the age of two weeks, starting in Germany two weeks after my birth in Frankfurt and heading home to Athens, Greece with my parents. Thereafter, as a youngster, our family lived throughout the United States and in Germany. When a sophomore in High School we moved to Foster City, California.
I have remained in San Mateo County throughout most of my adult life and have been a small business owner in San Mateo since July, 1992. I have developed a thriving and growing law practice specializing in the area of family law, maintaining an active case load. Since opening my office, we have handled in excess of 2,400 matters.
Summary of Qualifications
Encompassing a work history of in excess of 40 years in the legal profession, I have held various positions beginning as a Calendar Clerk in 1974, with a series of progressions to that of legal secretary, paralegal and into upper management. In June, 1991, I was admitted to practice law in California and maintain my own law practice, continuing to emphasize in all areas of family law since 1992.
Summary of Employment History
From 1974 until 1981 I was employed as a legal secretary and in 1981 obtained my first paralegal/legal assistant position which included office managerial duties as well.
Until June, 1991, I worked as a paralegal with firms specializing in personal injury and worked with such firms as The Boccardo Law Firm (San Jose); Law Offices of Gerald Sterns (San Francisco); Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner & Kane (Redwood City) and finally at Anderlini, Guheen, Finkelstein & Emerick (San Mateo) before opening my own practice in San Mateo.
After being admitted to practice in California in June, 1991, I accepted a position with Anderlini, Guheen, Finkelstein & Emerick as the family law associate. Additionally, less than a year after being admitted to practice, and while with the Anderlini firm, I had the formidable opportunity of arguing a civil case before the Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
In July, 1992, I opened my own office continuing to emphasize in the area of family law and have excelled in that endeavor as well, having brought with me from the Anderlini firm 35 of my 39 clients and since that time, increased the client base to in excess of 2,400.
In April, 1996, the firm became incorporated. We continue to focus our practice on all areas of family law litigation and mediation. From December, 1998 to December, 1999 I closed my law practice and opened a mediation only practice. In December, 1999, I re-opened my law practice.
I have maintained my office as a solo practitioner.
- Mediation Certification, 1998
- San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, California, JD, 1985
- College of San Mateo, San Mateo, California, AA, 1973
- Cañada College, Redwood City, California, 1971
- Burlingame High School, Burlingame, California, 1970
- Dean, Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity 1984-1985;
Chosen Most Outstanding Student Member of Delta Theta Phi, Western Region 1984-1985
- American Bar Association, 1991-1993
- State Bar of California, 1991 to present
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- San Mateo County Bar Association, 1991-1998
- Women Lawyers Section of the San Mateo County Bar Association, 1991-1998;
Co-Chair, 1993-1994; Chair, 1995; Conference of Affiliates, for California Women Lawyers, 1992-1994
- San Mateo County Women Lawyers Legal Education Foundation, 1995 to 1998
(founding member of foundation that gives scholarships each year to law students); Vice President, 1997, President, 1998
- California Women Lawyers, 1991 to present (Life Member);
Board of Governors, Secretary, 1994- 1995; First Vice-President, 1995-1996;
Recipient of the California Women Lawyers President’s Award, 1994
- San Mateo Leads, a professional networking organization for women, 1991-1994
- Barristers of the San Mateo County Bar Association, 1991-1998; President, 1993 & 1994;
Barrister of the Year, San Mateo County, 1993, 1994, 1995
(continuing as Ex Officio, until 1998, at the request of the board members)
- Appointed by President Clinton February, 1993 to the Selective Service Board and held that position for more than 10 years
- Soroptimist of Millbrae & San Bruno, 1993-1995
- Committee for Professional Equality of the San Mateo County Bar Association; Chair, 1993 & 1994
(founding member of this standing committee of the San Mateo County Bar Association which deals with issues of bias (racial, religious, sexual orientation and others, which was first put in place in 1993), continuing as a member of the committee through 1996 (sitting as a board member is by appointment of the President of the Bar Association and for a maximum of 3 years)
- National Women’s Political Caucus, 1992 to 1996,
Vice President of the San Mateo Caucus of the National Women’s Political Caucus, 1993
- Conference of Delegates to the State Bar of California, 1993-1997
(deals with proposed legislation from attorneys to be sent on to the California legislature for voting into law)
- Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Legal Services Award Winner, 1994 (Given by the State Bar of California)
- San Mateo County Women’s Hall of Fame nominee, 1994, 1996-1998, inducted into Hall of Fame, 2005
- Peninsula Executives Association, a professional networking organization, 1994-1995
- Woman of the Year Nominee of NOWBO (National Organization of Women Business Owners), 1998-1999
- International Who’s Who of Professional and Business Women, Professional Women’s Advisory Board, 1999
- ABI Woman of the Year (American Biographical Institute), 1999
- ABI’s Millennium Edition of Two Thousand Notable American Women
- ABI Research Association Board of Governors, Deputy Governor, 1999, lifetime appointment
- Castaways Women’s Club, President 2001
- Peninsula Italian American Social Club, 2002-to date
- Peninsula Social Club Scholarship Foundation, President 2003-2015 and Board Member 2003 -2015.
- Cambridge Who’s Who for Excellence in Law
DISCLAIMER: The above testimonial in no way are to be construed as a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an
attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until we have established an attorney-client
Hon. Daniel Weinstein
John Bradshaw, Ph.D.
Leta Zweibel, Ph.D.
Vivian Kral, Esq.
Blair Rhodes-Smith, Esq.
Paul Hazelrig, MD
Ann Marie Carroll
Irene Helen Milhorn